Countdown to Crufts 2016 – 1 week to go
One week today and the doors open at Crufts 2016; the world’s largest dog show. It takes place at the NEC, Birmingham between 10th and 13th March. This year, Crufts celebrates its 125th anniversary, so it’s bound to be a rather special event.
We’ll be there on Sunday 13th (Hound Day) and we’re looking forward to a fun day, catching up with friends and enjoying the Dachshund breed judging. Sunday is always a busy day and it will be interesting to see if attendance is up this year for the anniversary. The record attendance was 160,000 visitors, in 2008.
Here are our top 5 tips for making it a great day out:
- Remember, unless your dog is entered in the show or has a pass for one of the events such as Discover Dogs, you can’t bring him/her into the NEC. Don’t bring your dog and leave it in your car.
- Eating at the NEC is generally expensive, so take some sandwiches and plenty of bottled water to keep yourself hydrated. If you do buy food at the NEC, be prepared for long queues at peak times, even if you only want a cup of coffee.
- Plan your day: decide what you want to see first. Generally, it’s best to see the breed judging earlier in the day, but check out the start times for your favourite breed and get to the ringside early to ensure you get a seat.
- Check out the times in the programme for other events taking place in the main arena such as agility, obedience, flyball and other displays.
- Delay buying stuff from the many trade stands until later in the day. Otherwise, you’re going to have to carry bags around with you all day. Some traders will allow you to collect larger items from them later in the day, rather than take them at the time of purchase.
You’ve still got time to buy tickets; click the banner below. If you can’t get to the show, you can watch it live on YouTube.